Lows of Dundee Limited
Lows of Dundee Ltd is a family run business operating from its office headquarters in Dundee, Scotland. The business operation is divided into two separate divisions - Horticulture and Coated Fabrics. Still privately owned, Lows is a company which is rightly proud of its reputation for both service and quality which enabled the company to gain accreditation to ISO9001.
Coated Fabrics Division
The coated fabrics division is a specialist distributor of coated fabrics and industrial textiles in the United Kingdom and throughout the World. Prompt distribution throughout the UK is achieved by stocking approximately £1 million worth of fabrics in our warehouse located in Blackburn, Lancashire.
The Lows Family
Back: Suzanne Ayres, Rosie Wrigley and Victoria Mylius
Front: Murray and Rosalind Low
(Background picture: Mr William Low)
The horticulture division is a leading specialist distributor of commercial horticultural products to growers, garden centres and farmers in the UK. A wide range of stocks are held in our large warehouse situated at Errol Airfield, Dundee, Scotland, and our Blackburn warehouse in Lancashire which enables us to provide a prompt delivery which is normally 3 days. A trade counter is also available at our Errol warehouse enabling customers to buy our range of products on a cash and carry basis.Visit Horticultural Division Website
The Low family connection in the textile trade started in 1913 when brothers William and Peter Low co-founded Low Brothers. Starting from a humble beginning in a small commercial street office and then moving to Ellon Street Works as jute, sack and bag manufacturers. In 1919 the company moved to Wallace Works, Hilltown, Dundee and expanded their production of sacks and bags. Unfortunately there was a crushing blow in 1921 when Wallace Works went up in flames and only the offices remained of the whole building. The cost of the fire reached £100,000 - a considerable amount of money in those days.
The fire at Wallace Works
Wedding Celebrations for the late Mr. William Low
Our offices at Ellen Street
After the fire the company continued to trade specialising in jute and union interlining for the clothing trade and after the War branched out into merchanting jute goods for needle felt and carpet backing.
In 1959 Low Brothers & Co Ltd became a member of Don Bros Buist Group and expanded rapidly into polypropylene production mainly for the carpet industry through their subsidiary Don & Low PLC. The Don Bros Buist Group sold the company in 1986 to Shell UK Ltd. At this time Mr Murray Low, son of the co-founder William Low, decided to leave the company and with his wife Rosalind formed their merchanting company specialising in marketing PVC coated fabrics, industrial textiles and products for the Horticultural and Agricultural markets.
This company is now one of the UK’s leading distribution companies in the Coated Fabrics market and Horticultural and Farming Industries with a sales turnover in excess of £12 million. The family tradition continues with 3 daughters – Suzanne, Victoria and Rosemary working with their parents in the Company.